Monday 9 June 2014

Hair braiding in Sierra Leone


"Hair braiding is my job. It is the only job I do and I am able to make enough to take care of myself. When I finished my secondary education, my Parents could not afford for me to pursue my education to tertiary level. I realised I have a talent in braiding hair and I decided to pursue it as a trade. I have not gone to any cosmetic school yet to get certified but I intend to in the future. 

Hair Braiding is very common in Sierra Leone

Sometimes, I plait between three and five people a day. I hardly do boy's hair because most do not braid. I love the trade. I meet a lot of people and gain a lot from their experiences. Sometimes I go to my customer's houses if they are unable to come to mine. I love it when I go to their houses because it always costs more. I will encourage other women who finds it hard to get a job to search their inner self for their talent and pursue it. It is very satisfying. Thank you"



Hair braiding is a form of beauty enhancer for most Sierra Leonean ladies

No comments:

Post a Comment